Volunteer OverseasVolunteer Overseas

Community Service Credit for High School Students

Conservation volunteers restore community hall as part of their Dirty Day activity title=

Community service is often a requirement for high school graduation, not to mention critical to the college application process. Universities look for both service and international experience from applicants, so showing that you have community service hours overseas from a High School Special is a way to set yourself above the rest on a college application.

Students can usually apply their time volunteering abroad with Projects Abroad toward any community service requirements for high school or university graduation. If you intend to do this, it's always a good idea to get in touch with us well before your project start date so we that can coordinate with your school or university.

Credit for Service Hours: How Does it Work?

On most High School Specials, students will typically work for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. On a few days, volunteers will finish work early to partake in cultural activities, training courses or tourism. A typical 2-week High School Special will involve approx. 40 hours of work and a typical 4-week High School Special will involve 80 hours.

If you are planning on using this experience to receive credit for community service, please tell us on your application form exactly how many hours of work you will need to do, and if there are any other requirements for your experience.

Young students who chose to volunteer abroad with Projects Abroad in Cambodia read with the children at a daycare centre

Upon returning home, you will receive a certificate verifying your participation in a High School Special and recognizing your international volunteer work or internship experience. In most cases all you need to do is show this certificate to your school or university to receive credit for community service hours.

If your school requires a form to be completed and signed by us, just bring the forms with you on your trip and Projects Abroad in-country staff will be happy to fill it out at the end of your trip.

Returned volunteers can send any other paperwork to our office for processing. Please make sure you include your full name, project dates and location – as well as information about where to send the completed paperwork.

If you have more questions about how you can earn community service credit for a Projects Abroad High School Special please contact us.

Tell your friends about this page:

Back to top ▲