Conservation & Community Work in Ecuador for Volunteers over 50
- Placement locations: San Cristobal Island
- Types of placements: Galapagos National Park and community work
- Role: Contribute to ongoing conservation work, and hands-on community work
- Requirements: None
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer house or host family
- Arrival Airport: San Cristobal (SCY)
- Local Languages: Spanish
If you have a passion for the outdoors and uplifting disadvantaged communities, join our Conservation & Community Project in Ecuador. As a volunteer, you will split your time working between two important areas of need in Ecuador: protecting one of the most biodiverse regions in the world, and improving the lives of those in need through hands-on community work and activities.
Volunteering on our Conservation & Community Project in Ecuador is a great way to give back to both people and nature. You will leave a lasting impact in the community where you will work, and your work will help protect the natural beauty of our planet. You will also get to immerse in the culture of the local people and practice your Spanish.
Conservation Volunteering on the Galapagos Islands
The Galapagos Islands region is one of the most species-rich in the world, and due to the islands’ isolation, is home to many unique species of fauna and flora. In recent years these numbers have been under serious threat due to alien species invasion, logging, and oil exploitation.
As a volunteer, you will work closely with the Galapagos National Park during your conservation work, assisting on various ongoing projects, which will help protect the islands’ natural biodiversity. The following are some of the activities you would take part in:
- Removal of alien species
- Reforestation of negatively affected areas with indigenous plants
- Monitoring animal populations
- Assisting with beach clean-ups
- Raising awareness in local communities of environmental issues
- Running conservation workshops in local communities. As prevention is also key to conserving the environment, you would help prepare various awareness workshops to educate the local community on environmental issues
Volunteer Community Work in Ecuador
As a volunteer, you will be involved with hands-on community work to help improve the lives of those in the community where you are placed. The work you will do can include the following:
- Renovating and painting classrooms
- Painting murals
- Assisting with playground maintenance
Since you are on the Galapagos Islands, we of course want to make sure you have a chance to explore it as well. Once there, a few exciting activities will be planned for you. You will get to go on an island hopping trip to one or two of the neighboring islands, and you will get a tour of various interesting sites in the Galapagos.