Volunteer Agriculture & Farming Project in Jamaica
- Placement locations: Manchester Parish
- Role: Volunteers will be combining elements of farming and agricultural farming by getting involved with a wide range of agricultural activities
- Requirements: None
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Our Agriculture & Farming project in Jamaica combines elements of farming and agricultural management with a community focused role. The project is open to volunteers taking a gap year, career break, or a volunteer vacation. You do not need any specific experience to volunteer on this project, just an interest in agricultural issues and a desire to help the Jamaicans working within this field.
This project would also be suitable for volunteers studying or training in the fields of agricultural management, entomology, disease control, organic farming, marketing, farming techniques, irrigation and plant nutrition. By joining this project you will benefit from being exposed to various farming techniques in a tropical country.
Volunteering in Agriculture and Farming in Jamaica
Sustainable agriculture is important to the livelihood of many small farmers in rural areas of Manchester parish. Farmers make up 20% of Jamaica’s workforce; this represents almost 160,000 families who are dependent on farming. Increasing costs of fertilizers and agrochemicals in conjunction with a lack of support for rural farmers is impacting the livelihood of many farmers.
Your Role as a Volunteer on the Agriculture & Farming Project
On the Agriculture & Farming Project in Jamaica, volunteers will work on existing farms, or create new ones. You will work at organic or non-organic farms, protected or open door farms, or at research based farms. If you are an experienced farmer, you will be able to share farming techniques with local farmers and students.
Volunteers can assist in numerous areas depending on your interests, including:
- Work in greenhouse production
- Bio-technology tissue culture development
- Pest and fertilizer management
- Research trials involving various crops and growing methods
- Research into soil preparation and irrigation methods
- Demonstrations of greenhouse farming, drip irrigation, pest control and farm input management.
- Assisting with literacy levels of the farmers and assisting them with written proposals
- Helping schools in the area to develop a small school farm so that the schools can be more self-sufficient. Volunteers can help by organizing the project, planting and taking care of crops and educating children about environmentally friendly agriculture.
The Agriculture & Farming Project in Jamaica benefits orphanages, a home for the physically and mentally disabled, local school, small farmers and farming cooperatives, and agricultural research facilities.
There are 3 extra activities that you can get involved in during your placement, including assisting with the harvesting of crops, assisting elderly, sick and disabled farmers to maintain their fields, and educating students about farming as viable career or entrepreneurial option.
Volunteers live with local host families in Mandeville.