Public Health for Volunteers over 19 in Philippines
- Placement locations: San Remigio
- Role: Medical outreach and health awareness promotion for local families
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Age Requirements: Volunteers must be 19 and older
- Arrival Airport: Mactan-Cebu International Airport (CEB)
- Local Languages: Cebuano
The Philippines struggles to provide affordable health care to all its citizens, and some easily treated NCDs (non-communicable diseases) are now among the leading causes of death in the country. Education to promote healthy living and providing free health care in local communities is vital and an area where volunteers can make a significant difference.
Joining Projects Abroad on the Public Health Project in the Philippines is a way for you to have an impact on these communities. You will work alongside local doctors, nurses, and health workers, giving health screenings and educating locals about the importance of healthy living. The program is based in San Remigio, a municipality near to Bogo City, and gives you the opportunity to gain new skills in the medical field.
Your role on the program will be to:
- Assist with public health screenings and measure blood pressure, blood sugar, and waistlines (these figures will be used when creating health promotion strategies)
- Help professional dentists with dental check-ups
- Dispense medication under the guidance and supervision of a pharmacist
- Visit local hospitals, rural villages, and conferences
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Philippines Medicine & Health care Management Plan.
All volunteers on this project will live with Filipino host families, offering an opportunity to experience local hospitality. Living and working with volunteers from all over the globe will leave you with long-life friendships once the project has come to an end. Your schedule will include day trips to Bogo City and a visit to the Capitancillo Islet.
If you are a high school student and first-time traveler you may want to consider our High School Special programs in the Philippines.