Social Work Internships in Mongolia
- Placement locations: Ulaanbaatar
- Role: Work alongside a qualified social worker to provide assistance and care to the local community
- Requirements: Interns must have completed at least two years of studies in social work or a related field
- Type of placement: Centers for children with learning disabilities, public schools, local NGOs
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Mongolia is deeply affected by high unemployment rates which results in higher numbers of abandoned children and leaves thousands living in poverty-stricken conditions. The Projects Abroad Social Work Internship in Mongolia is based in the metropolitan city of Ulaanbaatar, home to over a million people, and where help is needed most. As a Social Work intern, you will work alongside local staff at care facilities and share your knowledge with your colleagues and the local community.
Your daily activities in Mongolia will be supervised by a trained social worker. They will encourage you to first observe so you can gain a better understanding of what will be expected of you. Further into your internship, you will be given opportunities to get more practical experience, which is especially useful for students looking to get university credit.
To join this project, you must have studied social work or a related field for at least two years.
Your Role at the Social Work Internship in Mongolia
In Mongolia, you will assist local staff by sharing the many skills and techniques you have learned through your studies. You will get involved with the following tasks:
- Applying your theoretical knowledge to real-life cases
- Sharing your knowledge with the trained professional staff to improve current practices
- Helping run awareness projects
- Assisting your supervisor with daily activities
- Creating workshops and presentations
- Helping alleviate the pressure on local staff
You will work from Monday to Friday, for around six hours a day. Daily tasks will be assigned to you by your supervisor.
The Social Work Internship in Mongolia is available year round, and you will need to stay for at least four weeks. This is to ensure that you fully engage with the community and manage to get as much experience as possible while working with your supervisor.
Interning in Social Work in Mongolia with Projects Abroad
Your internship in Mongolia will provide you with a number of opportunities to practically apply your theoretical knowledge in a developing country. A supervisor will be appointed to you and will ensure that you get the most out of your experience. They will also ensure that you complete the necessary hours if you are using the program for academic credit. They will also prepare a reference letter for you once the project is complete (this can be given to your university).
If you are interested in this project, but are not studying social work or a related subject, please take a look at our standard Care Project in Mongolia.
Although it is not required for you to speak Mongolian to volunteer in Mongolia, learning a few basics is always helpful. You can also choose to do the Mongolian Language Course before or during your placement.