Social Work Internships in Bolivia
If you're interested in volunteering in this destination, please contact us first before applying.
- Placement locations: Cochabamba
- Role: Work alongside a trained psychologist or social worker providing assistance and care to the local community
- Requirements: Interns must be studying social work or a related field and must speak an intermediate level of Spanish
- Type of placement: Care centers or Orphanages
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Bolivia faces a number of socio-economic challenges. In most cases, children are the group most affected by these issues. There is a constant need for interns and volunteers to help alleviate some of these problems and work toward solutions. As an intern with Projects Abroad, you will be placed in an orphanage or care center located in Cochabamba. Here, you will work alongside a trained supervisor to provide support, care, and treatment to the local community for the duration of your program.
This is an opportunity for you to put what you have learned into practice, hone your skills, and learn from qualified social workers and psychologists in the field. Students of every level can join, as long as they are pursuing a degree in social work or a related field. To communicate effectively with your colleagues and local people, you will need to speak an intermediate level of Spanish. If you are interested in taking Spanish lessons in Bolivia, take a look at our Spanish Language Course.
Interning in Social Work in Bolivia
You can use any knowledge and training you learned during your studies to help local staff. You can get involved with the following:
- Assisting local staff with daily tasks
- Helping with the general care of children living in orphanages
- Sharing your knowledge with local staff to improve current practices
- Creating and updating reports
- Preparing and presenting workshop material for staff and the community
- Promoting awareness of social challenges in Bolivia
- Producing assessments of children and adults, under the supervision of a qualified professional
You will face some challenging situations in Bolivia, so you will need to be patient and proactive. Your supervisor will be on hand to guide, advise, and assist you every day, while you gain valuable practical experience and enhance your studies.
Your time at the Social Work program in Bolivia will also consist of sharing your culture with the staff, your host family, and the community you work with. Our hope at Projects Abroad is that you will not only share your background, but also gain an understanding and respect for the cultural similarities and differences of the people you are helping in Bolivia.
If you are interested in this project but are not studying in this field, then please take a look at our standard Care Project in Bolivia.