Head of Content - South Africa
Vacancy for: Head of Content
Based: Cape Town, South Africa
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad is the leading international volunteering organisation. We send 10,000 volunteers a year to work in projects in dozens of countries around the world, where we help improve the lives of people and communities in need.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
Projects Abroad is entering an exciting period of growth and expansion, and we are looking to recruit a motivated and inspiring Head of Content based in our offices in Cape Town to lead our content development efforts and help promote our projects and the work done by our volunteers around the world.
The key focus of this role is of thought leadership; inspiring a team of content creators, stimulating innovative thinking and distilling clear digital marketing strategies across different global markets. You will need to be a self-starter, energetic and an excellent manager of people. You need to understand the customer, brand and differences across markets.
Reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer, your role will be to lead and advise content teams so that they deliver upon the digital marketing objectives and strategies. You will need to build alignment among many different offices and departments. You will drive project management, as well as assist with international campaign development to ensure successful brand growth. This will also entail hands on accountability for:
- content strategy
- content development
- online marketing
- social media marketing
- brand development
You will work with teams across the globe and occasional travel will be expected.
This is a pivotal global role for Projects Abroad, and will require demonstrable experience in conceptualising and delivering outstanding creative content, as well as building and leading creative content teams.
You will be directly responsible for the creation, distribution and performance of all marketing content. This will include:
- Managing an internal creative team to implement online marketing and advertising campaigns for various products around the world.
- Ensuring content produced (written, video and visual) meets brand expectations and meets marketing objectives, as well as being SEO ready.
- Collaborating with colleagues across the world to ensure that digital and traditional marketing activity is integrated and leverages off one another.
- Working with the marketing analytics team to monitor success of marketing campaigns
- Working collaboratively to recommend marketing strategies in order to drive traffic, increase customer acquisition, engagement, retention and revenue.
- Monitoring, identifying and escalating reputational issues emerging on social media and work with colleagues in resolving these timeously.
- Providing thought leadership and guidance to our offices around the world to help achieve their objectives.
- Identifying and proactively engaging with key internal and external stakeholders/partners needed to improve internal communications and brand sentiment.
- Directing, supervising and evaluating the content development team, providing clear leadership and professional development opportunities.
- Live in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Be a South African citizen, or have the right to work in South Africa.
- Have a university degree in a field with a marketing, writing or creative focus.
- Speak and write English to a native level.
- Have at least five years’ demonstrable experience in content creation, with at least two years’ experience in managing a team of creative people.
- Have a solid understanding of digital marketing, and how best to use digital channels to reach audiences with creative content.
- Be comfortable monitoring and analysing the performance of content across various channels.
- Be an excellent writer and communicator, and comfortable presenting to groups and senior management.
- Be reliable, pro-active and flexible
- Be interested in travel, and willing to travel if needed.
- Enjoy working with people from all over the world, and enthusiastic about collaborating across cultures.
Contract, salary and benefits:
You will be employed on a permanent contract, subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and a personal interview.
Salary & benefits
- Competitive market-related salary
- 21 days leave a year
- International travel opportunities
Are you interested?
Great! We want to hear from you.
Please send us:
- A one-page cover letter telling us why you are the ideal candidate for the role
- A one-page CV highlighting the experience and qualifications relevant for this role, and any links to examples of your work
Please combine the cover letter and CV into a single document (Word or PDF), and upload this to our online recruitment system.