Vacancy for: Conservation Manager
Based: Pacific Harbour, Fiji
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad's mission is to provide the gold standard of support and safety, so our volunteers and interns can fulfill their potential, discover themselves and create positive change in the world.
Projects Abroad is the world's largest international volunteering and internship provider, recruiting young people from all over the world.
We’ve been running projects and sending volunteers/interns all over the world for 25 years. We have sent over 115,000 enthusiastic volunteers to 29 countries to teach conversational English and to gain work experience in the fields of medicine, journalism, veterinary science, law and conservation.
We’re looking for a Conservation Manager to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the Conservation Project in Pacific Harbour. The Conservation Manager will be responsible for the implementation of all day to day operations, procedures and systems and he/she will be in charge of staff and volunteer management and supervision. The objectives of the role are to manage all operations and logistics associated with the day to day running of the Conservation Project, including the supervision of staff and volunteers, meeting the daily needs of the volunteers and organisation of all project related activities. The Conservation Manager should implement and follow all Overseas and Internal systems and procedures and should ensure the worthwhileness of work with a local and global impact.
- Maintain effective communication between the Nadi office and other overseas offices where necessary.
- Prepare management reports.
- Follow the guidelines and systems as set out in our internal manuals.
- Liaise with key stakeholders, project partners and community leaders.
- Represent Projects Abroad at a local and governmental level.
- Maintain a quality assurance and monitoring system.
- Set the Agenda and Chair the Weekly Staff Meetings.
- Prepare, submit and manage the budget for all project and office expenses.
- Manage, plan, organise, supervise and execute land based and field activities, taking into account all physical, logistical, safety and financial considerations.
- Supervise, train and motivate all staff, volunteers and local participants in the conservation work undertaken by the project.
- Have a deep understanding and practical knowledge of all the project’s conservation and scientific programmes.
- Ensure the proper the administration, maintenance, repair, use and control of all capital and project related equipment and accessories.
- Ensure the proper administration, maintenance, repair, use and control of the accommodation.
- Ensure that all project work is worthwhile and that all staff and project participants are deployed usefully and enjoyably.
- Perform general Human Resources tasks related to leave, recruitment and disciplinary procedures with the help of the HR team.
We are looking for candidates with:
- A Master's in Conservation or a related field, preferably.
- Alternatively, a Diploma or Bachelor Degree or equivalent with relevant experience.
- Proven ability to implement management/operational plans and follow systems.
- Experience working with culturally diverse population.
- Experience in project development, management and administration.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet.
- Fluent spoken and written English and knowledge of local language.
- Administrative and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Approachability and mature outlook.
- Proactivity and decision making skills.
- Emergency situation handling ability.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet short deadlines and multi-task.
- Ability to build teams within the workplace.
- Passion about conservation and environmental issues.
Contract, salary, benefits:
After a successful selection process, the ideal candidate will be offered a 2 year contract and a competitive local salary.
To apply, click on the 'Apply' button, fill in the application form and upload a 2 page CV and a 1 page cover letter. Please do not send applications by email.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.